Search This Blog

Thursday 31 December 2009

2009: The Director's Cut: Scroll the First

This year "it was the best of times, it was the blurst of times"

It was the birth of the Rice Advice:
It started with the one that made me an avid follower 1 of his and it continues with elegant wisdoms. His most recent wisdom took to form of an action, he shook the hand and well-wished everyone that crossed his path leaving the bar last week. His farewells were so genuine that some asked the farewellees how they knew him. I am still mulling over what it means.
Someday, the Damian and I will compose gospels on it.
The Mairtin Moment of The Year goes to an occurrence a week ago:

For the past few years I've had an interest in reading people. It arose naturally from practicing Kung Fu, which fosters self-awareness- and self-defence is pretty useless without an inkling of what the other is about to do.
Earlier in the month I gave one of the lads a good description of his order in his family and how he was treated. I was pretty chuffed with it, but I did not feel a need to knock myself over back-patting.
Four of us went to a bar on Stephen's Green. I was chatting to the new girl [I'll leave her name out since I daren't mispell it]. To fill a lapse in conversation I asked her if she was going to join a sports club in UCD. Without giving her time to respond, I said,"You look like someone that likes playing.... badminton."2 I was bang on the money, it turns out that she loves playing badminton.

Eat your heart out Derren Brown :D

I then followed up with telling her and Damian which sides they slept on. When I explained how I could tell, they were less impressed with that ditty.3
And thus ends Scroll the first of "2009: The Director's Cut"

__________________________________________________________________
1Follower in the spiritual sense, not the Twitter sense.
2It was all very logical. I considered the sports that were common and based on what I conisdered her temperment to be, I whittled my choices away until badminton seemed the most likely. It took a second or three from start to finish (that ellipsis in the quote covers it)
3 Most people sleep on their non-dominant side (right handed people on their left side and vice-versa), the ones to watch out for are those that sleep on their backs or fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment