Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 December 2009

365.25 days of Media: Part 2

Now films.

I used the wiki site to remind me of releases during the year. It is possible I missed some [un]deserving flicks since the link is based on US release dates.1 It was a pretty good year for films, I think. Avatar gets an honourable mention for visually stunning graphics, albeit with a somewhat dull story line.2

Up - I was concerned that Pixar had gone off of the reservation with Cars, it was lame enough to be something from Dreamworks3... [Máirtin takes a breath repeating that he promised to stay in '09 and not mention by-gones.]... A poignant and enjoyable piece that had me close to tears at times. Not the all-round package that was the Incredibles, but a worthy offering.

Inglorious Basterds - When I first heard about the film, I groaned in distaste. Tarrantino's past work has been good, however I don't think he warranted the praises he garnered. The first scene of the film put me in my place. it is probably one of my favourite slices of film this year . The typical hyper-violence of his other works and deliciously paced dialogues/script. In my opinion his magnum opus.

Where The Wild Things Are - A film about a kid. Not necessarily a kids' film. Gandolfini's character, Carol, is very similar to his iconic Tony Soprano. Well shot, few wasted words and well imagined characters, but a bit too long at times.

In The Loop - Gandolfini gets a second mention in the run-down, in this sharply written black comedy relating the maneuvering and under-handedness that takes place in government offices on both sides of the Atlantic. Keep an eye out for Steve Coogan's cameo.

District 9 - A tremendous sci-fi. It has taken a place beside the Fifth Element as my favourites of the genre. An engaging concept, excellent special effects and great action set pieces. It did fell like two films. First a high-concept science fiction. Halfway through it changes up to the classic science-fiction-action-romp. Both parts of the film are superbly done, but the transition marks an artistic compromise of sorts for me.

Watchmen - The most mature and well conceived film based on a comic book. End of story.

Moon - I'm a big Sam Rockwell fan, it is largely himself and the creepy disembodied voice of Kevin Spacey. The special effects are subtly done and very believable. As a whole. similar to the first half of District 9, in that science fiction is a context for the story as opposed the focus.

Honourable Mentions: Monsters Vs Aliens & Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - for being great non-Pixar computer animated features. A Serious Man - for the Coen brothers, producing a film that requires more thought that than even their usual fare. Gomorrah - for giving a stark look at life under-the-thumb of the Italian Mafia. Zombieland - For being a delightfully funny US answer to Shaun of The Dead, a good leading cast and a great cameo. Synecdoche, NY - the most abstract film I saw this year... although the Office Boy [Damian] has been raving about White Ribbon.
Now for the films that displeased me. They are by no means the worst films I have seen, except for maybe the first on the list, but films that disappointed me.

Year One - Jack Black and Michael Cera.On the whole, it wasn't funny.4 Jack Black is beginning to grate. Michael Cera should see about getting some range.

Wolverine - The first two X-Men films were about wolverine, I liked them. There were some good moments in this one, but it does not hold a candle to what had come before, but it could have.

Pirate Radio - A film about an illicit Rock 'n' Roll radio station, on a boat. It stars Bill Nighy, Philip Seymour Hoffman and the tall fella from the IT Crowd. It could have been a collection debauched mad-cap anti-establishmentarianism antics, it could have had the spirit of Animal House and its ilk. Unfortunately it was generally soppy and safe.
Edit: JC [What can I say, I have friends in high places.] pointed out that that was the American release name. To avoid it in Ireland and England, it is called "The Boat that Rocked."

The Men That Stared at Goats - George Clooney and Ewan MacGregor in a buddy movie about a journalist and an ex-Army Psychic. Jeff Bridges and Kevin Spacey co-starred. It had some decent moments, but my mate Neil and I agree that if it were not for Mr Clooney it would have been an obscure and beige.

Terminator Salvation - An adequate Summer flick. An adequate follow-up to Terminator 3. Grossly inadequate sequel to the first two films. Sam Worthington is pretty good in it, but I tire of Christian Bale's unnecessarily gravely voice and his typically intense and brooding character-type, I fear he could be getting type-cast.
So there is a run-down of TV and film according to Máirtín. In the next few days I'll take in Sherlock Holmes- I do like a bit of Robert Downey Jr, and Rachel MacAdams is as eye-catching as ever. In the coming months I wait in baited breath for the HBO pilot of George RR Martin's Game of Thrones TV series. Other than that, I am hoping that they don't make another season of Dexter- get out on top darn it.

Later jerkwads.
__________________________________________________________________
1As it happens, it included Taken in the '09 release... I was so very tempted to include it, I mean, people, it's freaking awesome.i
2Possibly the best special effects ever stunningly applied. However, the "Dances-with-Wolves-in-Space"ii storlyline typically hung off of them like a sleepy toddler being carried to bed.
3Other than the first Shrek and Kung-Fu Panda, Dreamworks hasn't delivered as far as I am concerned.
4I ended up missing a salsa lesson for it. >:(
___________________________________________________________________________________
i... well, after the first 30 minutes or so.
iiI heard that description from Bob first.

No comments:

Post a Comment