Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 December 2008

Geeks Anonymous: Downward [-ly awesome] Spiral

Every time I saw one I told myself "No!" [You don't mean that, just give it a try]. I resisted [resistance is futile]. I told myself time and again I did not need it, that it would be bad for me [there is no need only want, it would be bad in such a very good way].

I broke. I caved. I got one.

I am, of course, talking about the Awesome Acer Aspire One (AAO), with solid state drive (8GB) and Linux Lite OS. External storage is so cheap now that I need just a few GB on the machine itself and I take what is needed as it is needed. The OS was fine until I got to Clare and realised I had forgotten my password. Clearly, installing Ubuntu 8.10 and starting from scratch the simplest thing to do [Adopts a demeanor that broaches no argument, also known as Fingers-in-Ears-Chorussing-La-La-La-Not-Listening].

Spent hours getting it to 90% functionality. Luckily Ubuntu's support website is amazing. All I had to do was follow instructions, they have a AAO section, even if I followed poorly. I spent most of the time using terminal and I found out some nifty things. Currently, my favourite is chmod. It can change privileges on hard drives, so I can write to restricted drives.

Coming down from my hit of "Golden Silicon" [texture like #FFFC17], I purchased the Seagate Barracude 7200.11 1.5TB and a 320GB Samsung internal hard drives for my PC. The latter, will boot my OS. This lay-out, means carte blanche installs & reinstalls without touching my data. I want to switch to Ubuntu server OS and use my AAO as an access point. I got an enclosure for the 320GB hard drive (cheap as 15euro of chips), this way I can bring it into college and boot it externally for its quickening [more in the Higlander sense of the word, than the biological sense] until it can see my 3G modem.

Not known for planning or organisation skills, I looked at product reviews after purchase. I found this one and was instantly on a heady-high/decadent-nadir. Good, rigourous experimental technique. Clear charts. Tests in triplicate. When I finished with that, I had to have more. I quickly ODed on this because of this. I do believe I have found my one stop shop for hardware reviews... I can handle it!

No comments:

Post a Comment