Search This Blog

Saturday 27 December 2008

Numbers of my year

  • Finally figured out how to make sense of days of the week and dates of the month
  • Sleeping: 106 days
  • Saw 70 movies in the cinema [for the price of 36 films, thank you, Cineworld Unlimited Card]
  • Watched 650 episodes of tv shows (averaging 2 a night, with the exceptions of holidays)
  • Drank 500 l of water, 100 l juice, 600 slices of bread
  • Training: 45-50 days [The mode is ~1 day a week or so, but my diligence suffered while I was in China, Estonia and Australia]
  • Read 22 books [serious drop from previous years; I blame the parents and tv for rotting my brain]
  • 3 weeks typing
  • Walked more than 350 hours [1050 miles, Dublin, Ireland to Pisa, Italy
  • My heart has beaten ~27,288,000 times [My resting heart rate is some 45 bpm or so, 35 if I really concentrate. While training it probably averages 100 bpm, between the heavy cardio stuff and the more sedate breathing exercises]
  • Were I a car I would have travelled 9,336 km [Based on oxygen intake...]:
  1. ~6,221,000 breaths in a year {12 (breaths/min) x 60 (min/hour) x 24 (hour/day) x 360 (day/y)}
  2. 12,442,000 l-air/y {5,200,000 (breath/y) x 2 (l/breath)}
  3. Inhale 508,000 mole-air/y {12,442,000 (l-air/y) / 24.5 (l/mol)}... Ideal Gas Law*
  4. Consumed 35,560 mole-oxygen/y {508,000 x (0.21 - o.14**) } [Assuming I am a fit person]
  5. This burns 2845 mole-petrol/y {O2 + C8H18+8CO2 + 9H2O... 12.5 x Oxygen:Petrol}
  6. I would have driven 9,336 km {2845 (mole-petrol) / 114 (g-petrol/mole) = 324.3 g-petrol, 324.3 (g-petrol) / 0.74 (kg-petrol/l) = 438.3 l-petrol, 438.3 (l-petrol) x 21.3 (km/l, equivalent to 50 mpg) = 9,336 km}
I was going to do one for how much heat I radiated, but the numbers were provided better than I could have done them here, but their lung capacity calculations are not as good, I think, not that anything I did up here was original work.
Speaking of which, the above method just back-of-the-envelope stuff [the wiki on this fills me with shame for using it, considering the big wigs that first used it. And I want this pamphlet "Modern Physics from an Elementary Point of View"!]. In my travels on the interweb I came across this site, which goes through the process from cell respiration POV. The "distance" travelled is very sensitive to the mpg chosen, but nearly a quarter of the way around the earth is not bad. :)

*Obviously I assumed the fugacity of the gases in question are ~ 1, which is reasonable at 1 atm and the moderate temperatures involved i.e. an ideal situation:


**The url I got the oxygen composition from seems to be on a dry basis... which makes things simple. For every volume of oxygen consumed, 1 volume carbon dioxide and and 1 volume of water is produced. On a dry basis there is not change in volumes. On a wet basis things change, for x oxygen converted:
***More rigourous ways to get the data would be the either monitor oxygen consumption (tricky) or calorie intake (simple but exhaustive) and monitor change in body weight, taking into consideration percentage body fat change. We get a partial material/energy balance [a complete one would involve... guh... noting all ins and... outs]. From that we back out an equivalent intake of oxygen, and other such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment