Search This Blog

Friday 5 December 2008

Yummy Science

On Thursday (4th Dec) we had our Post Grad Christmas Party. Twas a fine event, much fun was to be had.

Julia and Gleb organised the festivities. It kicked off with a pool tournament. Strangely, probably an extension of the American belief in "everyone is a winner", there were prizes for anyone able who got into the second round [not to sound bitter or anything]. Britte and I were teamed together against Danielle and Sanket for the covetted Ms Germany. We lost :(
- The crowns bestowed on the winners had a Wurst on a fork.

Some guys played for a girl's heart. No names necessary.- The winners got crowns with hearts on them.

Other prizes:

  • The True Blonde (the winner was not a true blonde, proving the system a sham)
  • Mr Indian (the crown had the meme of the texting Indian on a motor bike)
  • Mr & Mrs Cell Culture

... The other prizes escape me at the moment.

I take a quantum of solace [cue groans from reader at this point] in the fact that the tournament winners beat us in the first round, Britte and I could potentially be second place.

We dined on thai food, I had a tender, saucey duck and lovely upmarket spicey prawn crackers.

As is our Christmas tradition Rice and I got ourselves ice-cream to help boost our metabolism after our meal. As usual, when we invited others to come, our generous request was declined :'(

Jess wished for yoghurt to make all frozen. Here comes the science. Pay attention.

We got a six pack of yoghurt, raspberry yoghurt that is. Next we got some liquid nitrogen.

Tyog = 269K
TN2 = 77 KelvinN2

(No contest)

T1 = 285 Kelvin
Cp,yog = XX J/kg/K
Myog = XX kg
Fyog = XX J/kg

Q= Myog [(Cp,yog (T1-Tyog))+F]

LN2=(5.56kJ/mol)/(28g/mol)=199J/g
MN2=Q/LN2

[Unfortunately the internet lacks reliable if any data on the properties of yoghurt, hopefully a would be young scientist will stumble on to this and do me a solid by finding these things out for me. Lacking the data I decided to put this baby to be before it became 2009, I've been unusually busy of late :(]

The yogurt was served using my spoon, which as yet has not been returned to me. Hopefully when I have the chance I can give some eyeball values for the heat capacity of yoghurt over christmas- I'll get my baby brothers to help because science is cool.

Excuse my failure to deliver for the time being

No comments:

Post a Comment