Search This Blog

Saturday 4 October 2008

The Inner Workings of an Engineer: How It Ticks

In Terry Pratchett's The Thief of Time, a gifted and proportionately medicated clockmaker is contracted to build a clock timed to the tick of the universe; the minimum difference between two moments in real time. The narrator observes this is equivalent to using a crowbar within a box to open said box from the outside.a Inconceivable!b

And thus ends my preamble, and if you will bear with me it will be a preamble and not a non-sequitur.

Previously, I put together the PC hardware and found I did not have the video output, that is no longer an issue.

Next stop OS installation... Our computer Tech gave me a Windows X64. The product key was not valid. When questioned, he told me that he had given me the product key for a 32 bit XP... two randomly generated 16 digit alphanumeric, there is [If my logic is correct] 1 in 36^16 (10^-25) chance that they are the same. Not impressed.

Since Microsoft/Computer Tech shafted me, I went to see how Linux would treat me. Originally I was getting a Intel P35 Chipset motherboard, but I picked the newer P45 version of the motherboard instead. The 64 bit version of Ubuntu did not boot. I thought it was Windows rocking the boat again... As it happens, current Ubuntu dislikes the P45 chipset. But no fear I have discovered a solution, apparently Kubuntu with BIOS in RAID mode will play ball.

After training, I related my progess to Bob. He chuckled for a time. When he settled down, he asked: "Has the PC actually worked yet?" Clearly the answer was no. I uttered the word blithely, as a break from telling him what I was planning to do next. Bob chuckled a bit more. He pointed out to me that I am an engineer; with as much if not more interest in how things work as having them work.
Shortly after, I realised [in a "Oh my God!"/facepalm way] that goal of the Project PC-building was finding out about PCs. Anything that I have at the end of it is a happy bonus. It brings to mind a Dilbert Cartoon, with the appropriate amount of Schadenfreude...

Referring to my preamble: the problem becomes trivial if someone else has a crowbar handy and pops open the box for you.


a The idea is reminiscent of a Zen Koan... it makes me cringe.
b I do think that that word means what I think it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment