Search This Blog

Thursday 2 October 2008

The Heathen Natives had the right idea...

Early one morning 18 months ago...


I was in the Sports Centre, minding my own business, meditating in one of the main halls. A bespectacled woman in her 40s sticks her head through the door.

Christian:"Do you know what you are doing?"

Mairtin: [Nods]
Christian:"God loves you. You should not be doing this stuff."
Mairtin: [Returns to staring at a wall. After a minute or so, she leaves]

Early one morning 6 months ago...

Once again I was in the Sports Centre, minding my own business, doing a form in one of the main halls. This time the bespectacled woman walked across the hall and stood near by until I looked at her.

Christian:"I see you here often..."
Mairtin:[Having completely forgotten about the prior incident with her, prepares to explain which martial art he practices and who to talk to about joining the club]
But back in reality...
Christian:"...trying to find comfort." Pardon? "But you cannot find comfort in yourself. Only God can comfort you. I have some pamphlets I would like to read you-"
Mairtin: "I will have to stop you here. I do not believe in God. I do not think that promise of heaven or the existence of a higher being is needed to lead a good life. My father died 2 years ago and I do not think he went to heaven or any where else. He ceased to be. This is how I know I don't believe in God."
Christian:"Well... If you have any questions..."


Since the conversation was over I walked away from her and continued training. Once more she walked away after a few more minutes of watching.


Early this morning...

A third time I am in the Sports Centre, minding my own business. The Christian approaches me...

Christian: "I am here to tell you that Jesus loves you."


She begins to leave. I call her back.



Mairtin:"This is the third time that you have disturbed me!"

Christian:"I know that. But I have to tell you that Jesus loves you because you don't believe and no one in this world cares enough to tell you so."
Mairtin:"I have many people that care for me-"
Christian:"None of them care enough to tell you that Jesus loves you."
Mairtin:"Maybe someday I will realise that Jesus loves me, but I am not going to realise that by you saying so."
Christian:"That is what I mean. You cannot know it here [Points at head], you have to believe it here [Points at centre of chest]. That is why I am telling you that Jesus loves you, belief can only come from hearing"


Left aghast at her incoherent statements I resorted to a form of begging of a sort...



Mairtin:"This is the third time that you have disturbed me. Do not come near me again."



Christian:"In the next year or so you will be finished studying and you will not see me again."



She said other stuff to the effect of she has things to do herself, but I cannot remember them clearly enough to type them down.

Again, I return to training and she leaves shortly afterwards.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first time she approached me I was annoyed. The second time she approached me I was not in a mood to hear her. The third time I was very angry. I was angry at the presumption that she knew what was best for me, despite not knowing me. I was angry at the presumption that what I was practicing was some kind of pseudo-religion that should not be practiced.
Even writing this I am very wound up about the whole thing. The fact that she avoided saying she would not approach me again means I am likely to see her in the future.
Yesterday I came across a webcomic that made some valid observations about how atheists are arguably better Christians than Christians are... aside from not believing in God that is. I think that is a moot point anyway... If you are the Big Cheese capable of creating the universe in 6 days and having a rest on the 7th, that one person not believing in you would bothers you is rather disappointing and petty. Were God like a a loving, but estranged father that likes to keep tabs on his children- as the story goes- then surely he would be happy that his kids were good people irrespective of what they thought of him as opposed to deciding they should burn for their disrespect...

Recently deceased comedian George Carlin had this to say about religion:
"Religion is like a lift in the shoe, and I say just don't ask me to wear your shoes. And let's not go down and nail lifts onto the natives' feet."

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha, what a woman. Did you find out if she was single?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me we would not make a good couple...

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you know now that Jesus loves you even though you're an evil atheist! I remember you mentioning that before but I didn't realise the scale of it! I don't think she's going to leave you alone, but I think it may count as justifiable homicide if it came down to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always knew that Zombie Jesus Loves me... I was just concerned that he would try to eat my brains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think anyone ever said he wouldn't eat your brains....

    ReplyDelete