Search This Blog

Friday 26 June 2009

That's not a hand, THIS is a hand


Back when I meet the family, I got my grandfather to compare hands with me.

For my height, I have unusually long arms (a complaint I have heard in training) and... clownish - scary! :( - is a word used to describe my hands and feet.

So I wanted to show-off my grandfather's hands, pictured left.

His wrist is waaaay thicker than mine (mine are 18.5 cm in circumference) and his pinky is the same thickness as my thumb (mine is 2.1 cm in diameter).

I remember a little story my Uncle Niall told me. He introduced Jimmy (grandfather) to mercy. The then teenage Niall was best in his class at it. He felt rather cocky going up against Jimmy, while explaining the rules to him. Without fanfair, Jimmy squeezed his hands until Niall said,"Mercy!"

I suppose that is what a life of farm work and labouring gifts one with though.

2 comments:

  1. In fairness he merely flexed his fingers .. and I said Mercy faster than I ever said it before. I think it's the hand-milking of the cows for 40 years that pushes his hands into the superhuman category...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. I think I'll go do a quick literature search... coming to a blog near you... [mine that is]

    ReplyDelete