Search This Blog

Sunday 3 May 2009

Mairtin Vs the Toddler

I went to Waterford to meet the younger siblings, grandparents and my mother this weekend past.
I was collected by Deirdre* and Molly.** I had not visited since Christmas, about 20% of Molly's life... I suppose I could forgive her for her dubious glances. However, I am less inclined to forgive her for, "Where's Eimhin,*** is [he] on [the] bus?"... as if I was not good enough for her! After a few minutes of threatening to take her fingers out of her mouth and eating them, she warmed to me.

On the way home, we stopped to get groceries and pretties [hair slides, for people that speak correctly]. When she is dressed in the morning, Deirdre tells her she looks pretty. Naturally, she now calls her hair slides her pretties- it smacks of Gollum, if you ask me. I spent some time on the way home telling her that her hair was a mess, she disagreed of course... I learned that she can shed tears at will. :X

Deirdre is in the habit of declaring the son of the moment her "best boy," Molly picked up on this and calls herself the "best boy" whenever she gets the chance, while also being the self-proclaimed "best girl." Sitting down to my breakfast a on Saturday, I was asking Molly if she was best boy. Not liking my tone she pointed at me calling me a "fat bitch." Winnie**** stepped in and told her to go outside because of her cursing. She looked suitably contrite and shuffled out... of course she got Carthach and Diorraing***** to follow her and play because punishment is so boring without company.

On our way home, after seeing Wolverine, Molly imagined another slight and enquired as to when I was getting the bus, clearly she learned that indirect curses and dismissals are more defensible.

Since I am on the train now, I guess she won this round...

*my mother, it is what I call her, I don't care if it is simpler for others if I call her "Mammy" or some such
**baby sister
***lanky artisan brother
****My grandmother
*****youngest brothers

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you never mention TED.com in any of your blog entries. Tis always WIki this and Wiki that ... although it's an enviable source of information in a kind of latent sense I think if you want to be a bit more pro-active you've got to embrace TED with all your heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like Ted, an unforgivable oversight to leave it out... the next time something I think of as blog worthy springs to mind I'll plumb Ted's depths, figuratively speaking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. any chance you'd mail me an invite to your blog? - Ev mentioned that you were as private as he is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I don't have your email though .. oscarforan@gmail.com and I will send you a invite forthwidth .. it's kinda boring though as I only post music and only do that occasionally .. apart from a diatribe on pasteurisation of course... any blog should haave that though!

    ReplyDelete