Search This Blog

Friday 8 May 2009

fame, I wanna light up the sky- right?


This week, I are mostly watching xkcd's "the Race"...(parts: 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5).

It is about an electric skateboard race between Randall Munroe (xkcd author) and Nathan Fillian (Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly fame- a tragically short lived Joss Whedon sci-fi). Unusually, it ran daily, no drop in quality though. :)

I was interested to see if Nathan Fillian had commented on these happenings, I googled it. One of the results down along was from a "Whedonverse" site. I sent the link onto Kevin, because of the comments in it. One that stuck in my mind was:
" No.
Munroe states there is no particular meaning to the name and it is simply a four-letter word without a phonetic pronunciation, something he describes as "a treasured and carefully-guarded point in the space of four-character strings."
wikipedia
Briefly, I wanted someone to compose a Wiki* about me... so that if I were ever asked why my email address is what it is or what size shoe I wear or if I ever took part in the Fás Science Challenge in 2006, there would a handy wiki to separate fact from fiction- with out any friction...

Of course I realised the danger of having a Wiki article makes it infinitely more likely that false facts about me could arise, such as...
  • Mairtin is a mechanical engineer
  • He is doing a masters
  • He reads and enjoys Twilight
  • Has hands, feet and arms befitting his height
  • He is a devout Christian
  • He prefers waltzing to salsa
  • He prefers amorphous to crystalline materials
  • He has a skill to simplify things, distill them to their uncomplicated essence, in a really clear and transparent manner that even a child can elucidate a meaning from
  • He is familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda
  • He can touch his tongue off his elbow
And so on with the falsities...

And then of course there would be:

"Mairtin in pop culture" [Thanks for that one Kevin...]

*Having been called on a lack of TED citing in my corner of the web, I think I should have wished to be a TED presenter instead... Better get started on the presentation for that. Once it is ready, they'll sense its existence in the idea space... I'll just wait beside the phone, staring out at the rain with this song playing in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment