Search This Blog

Saturday 21 February 2009

Holiday in Morocco: episode 3

Merrakech is an old city. It has been around in one form or another for nearly 1,000 years. There are miles and miles of stalls, they offer leather bags, jewelry, herbs, spices, perfumes, dyes, crepes, canes, swords, seats and bath tubs [almost everything and the kitchen sink]. Where Assouaria evoked Jason Bourne, this place was very much the remit of Henry Jones Jr. The atmosphere and surroundings would fit seamlessly with himself shooting a scimitar wielding thug. It is known for one other thing.

Before telling you what it is, I shall digress. If you are going to get a laugh out of the same shtick over and over again, there needs to be an element of escalation to it. Take things to their logical extreme. For the first half of the trip Gleb maintained an accelerating stream of innuendo.

For reasons I am not aware of, I became more homophobic with each day.* Gleb took sadistic advantage of this for his own entertainment. The cad!

Merrakech is known as a Pink City.

When we stepped into the room we were sharing, I began looking to the left of the door, peripherally aware of Gleb's laughter. “Hmm.... Large room, seating area, bathroom... where are the beds?... Oh.” Gleb's source of mirth was that there was a double bed.

In the market, we grabbed a fabulous dinner at a place apparently endorsed by Jamie Oliver- at least there is a picture of him with the staff. Afterward, at my insistence we hit a Gelati. He grabbed a mint tea. I ordered ice-cream. I watched the man prepare the ice-cream from my seat. He put a spoon on the saucer with the bowl. He cast a glance at our table. Without missing a beat, he put another spoon on the saucer. Gleb suggested we sit closer together to stay warm. The bastard was enjoying my discomfort immensely, with good reason.

The sleeping arrangements for Merrakech involved what Gleb labelled the “Chastity Pillow” to ensure no undue contact occured in the depths of the night.

*After the fact, Bob observed that by, Gleb being the instigator, I was pigeon-holed in the role of straight man for the skit [The Steve Martin to his John Candy- of Planes, Trains and Automobiles]. Had I... erm... rose to the occasion one-up-manship could have followed. The “Gay Chicken” featured in Scrubs between Dr Cox and the character played by Brendan Frasier springs to mind... As rationales/justifications go, this is a great one. I think I will stick with it.

2 comments:

  1. I loved young Henry Jones... watch Boondock saints... You will see him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so he is http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001218/
    That I was not aware of. Saw Boondock saints a while back a decent watch indeed. Gleb is a big fan of it.

    ReplyDelete