Search This Blog

Sunday 15 April 2012

Twaalfwoorden deel drie

And here it is, the ultimate part in my thought provoking series0 on Dutch words (imagine it’s David Attenborough saying it).

  1. Bij
This a handy word to have:
·      Er is iemand bij = “There is someone (else) there”/”there is an additional person there.”
·      Ik heb X erbij = “I have it here/with me]”
·      Bijleren means to learn something extra, i.e. something incidentally learned, something that you’d pick up during your day.
The reason I like bij as an modifier to words or sentences is that it’s such an economical way to say that someone is beside you/with you/accompanying you, or that you have some. Or to say that you picked something up. It’s like the linguistic equivalent of a vintage sports car (think original Bond Aston Martin), whereas equivalent English approaches are 80s and 90s era sports cars – kitch and cool in their own way, but sometimes seem to have too much going on.
10. Eenvoudig
Combining two words to get another word, is something I relish seeing in Dutch (and also in German). The meaning of the new word is something easy to infer, intuitive even. They are often built up from common/day-to-day words. Such an elegant synthesis of literal-mindedness and abstraction. Of which this is a wonderful example...1
Simple. Een (one) and voudig (from vouwen “fold”). Eenvoudig is hands down my favourite etymological discovery in Dutch. I let out a gleeful yelp when I realised which words were the parents of this one. It is an example of an abstract concept being used as the word to represent that concept...2 there aren’t many things simpler than a single fold!
11. Woordenschat
Vocabulary. Woorden (words) and schat (treasure). It strikes such a powerful chord… “word treasure.” For me, at least, when I consider this compound word, it gets me to take a moment and consider the words I have learned. To admire them, each an ingot of gold or a precious stone. Compare that to “vocabulary”; Just a bundle of syllables. How… how forgetable.

And of course, to finish with a chuckle.

12.                  Hoeren en uren
Prostitutes and hours… A tricky one for me is the distinction between oe and uu. The first should be pronounced like the like the "oo" in raccoon. The second is similar to the u in “ubiquitous (the first one - it certainly seems to be everywhere in that word...)- but stretch it out to make it a long sound.
Dutch speakers are unforgiving about vowel sounds, the distinction between them is more important than in English.3 It is coming along, but I do have my off moments…
I was chatting at lunch about the hours I spent relaxing in the canteen in college with the lads. They looked at me in surprise and asked me to repeat myself. I did. It turned out what I had said sounded far closer to “prostitutes in the canteen”, all because of a mix-up between those two sounds. We still chuckle about that one. :)
****
0It certainly provoked my thoughts.i  :) 1 Because of the influence of the Normans (French-speaking conquerers of Britain back a 1,000 years ago), many technical/scientific terms follow Romantic naming conventions of using the Latin or Greek.
2 Talk about meta! It’s wheels within wheels up in here! If I didn’t want to finish on a laugh, this would have been the kicker!
3 Consonants are kings in the Queen’s. [EDIT: A colleague of mine challenged me in this. And I had to concede that, being an English speaker, I have a much broader experience and exposure to the manifold ways that English can be mis-pronounced; Compared to a Dutch speaker - with significantly fewer foreigners learning it let alone trying to speak it - the skill of inferring what is actually meant by garbled syllables is not as well honed]
****
iA friend of mine asked me why I wrote my blog in the first place, if I cared that people wouldn’t get it or thought that something on it was stupid.
I told him that I do it because I get a kick out of it. I’d be lying if I said that I didn't care when people like it or read it...a,b I get a lot out of putting a post together – in terms of amusement, learning something new,c and having epiphanies about myself and the world around me.
----
aAs John Donne said:
No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main…d
bI mean when they enjoy reading it as well as “liking” it on Facebook.
cThere is a whole lot of bijleren going on up in here!
dThe rest of the poem goes on to talk about death and how as a part of mankind each death diminishes us individually… the poem is bookended by two famous lines, the one I quote above about the penninsular status of conscious existence and “And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.” As you can see, I am cherry-picking because clearly Mr Donne was referring to something deeper than acceptance and validation. I recommend reading his Wikipedia article; riveting.

No comments:

Post a Comment