Search This Blog

Friday 7 November 2008

If you're feeling or you're kinda...


Went to a Halloween house party in Limerick again. I dressed up as a terminator- there is only one "The Terminator" [technically redundant, but I'm going to stick with it]. I can't remember when I decided on the costume. The main thing were the eyes, I need to have red eyes, somehow. Initially I was thinking of contacts, but Kevin provided me with a starting point for an cheaper and nerdier option [Thanks to Jack Loftus for upping the picture and doing the work].

Some of the comments indicated that the resistors were unnecessary. Now obviously one cannot see very well with two LEDs in front of the eyes. I had an idea for how that would be remedied.

  1. Went to Maplin off Henry St, collected a watch battery (3V), Resistors (0.1-10kOhm), and LEDs (30 piece party pack, Red, Yellow, Blue and IR).
  2. My idea for the "blinding" problem, was using a bottle cap for housing one LED and the battery. I put a hole on the top, near the edge.
  3. I trimmed the LED's prongs and placed the negative line flat along the underside of the cap and the positive wire went along the curved surface.
  4. The watch battery was placed negative side down into the cap. Luckily, the negative face of the watch battery is recessed in the positive side. The positive wire is pinched between the cap's side and the positive rim of the battery. The negative wire pressed against the negative face of the battery. The threading of the cap fixed it all into place. Let there be light!
The mask
  1. Bought light black cardboard
  2. Placed it against my face
  3. Glued the creased parts in place.
  4. Made a hole in the mask for the LED.
  5. Placed the LED housing into the mask [Pah I could not be bothered to continue hot linking, just look at the album...]
  6. Strung some ribbon through it to fix it in place
  7. Glued tin foil on it
  8. Put it on.
Unfortunately I broke my camera and used my webcam, hence the poor quality pictures.

Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment